NPP Canada branch backs calls for early congress
The Canadian branch of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) has backed calls for the party to go to an early congress to elect presidential and parliamentary candidates for the 2024 general elections.
According to the overseas branch of the party, in the recent poll conducted by the Research and Elections Directorate of the NPP Canada Branch, a hundred per cent (100%) of respondents across all Eight (8) Chapters responded in favour of the call for an early congress.
However, ninety-one per cent (91%) of the respondents further proposed that both the Presidential and Parliamentary elections be conducted at the same time.
Mr Samuel Yaw Asirifi, the NPP Canada Branch Secretary, backed the call for an early congress in a statement dated January 31, 2023.
Below is the full statement:
Re: NPP Canada Calls for Early Congress electing Presidential and Parliamentary Candidates for 2024 Elections The Canada Branch of the New Patriotic Party (NPP Canada) is backing the calls for the New Patriotic Party to organize an early congress to elect both Presidential and Parliamentary candidates for the 2024 general elections. In a recent poll conducted by the Research and Elections Directorate of the NPP Canada Branch, hundred percent (100%) of respondents across all the Eight (8) Chapters responded in favour of the call for an early congress. However, ninety-one percent (91%) of the respondents further proposed that both the Presidential and Parliamentary elections be conducted simultaneously.
At a Branch Executives meeting held on Sunday January 22, 2023, the Executive Committee of the NPP Canada Branch unanimously settled on the decision to support the calls for an early congress in August 2023.
It is our considered opinion that the New Patriotic Party holds the Presidential and Parliamentary primaries concurrently, based on the following reasons;
1. Using the 2008 general election as a precedent, we believe an early congress held in August 2023 shall give enough time for the next Presidential candidate of the New Patriotic Party to select his running mate, set up his campaign team, reenergize the base of the Party and mobilize resources for the 2024 election campaign.
2. Again, because the next Presidential candidate of the NPP is going to be an entirely new candidate, the Party requires enough time to sell his vision to the Ghanaian voting population and all stakeholders in the political ecosystem.
Therefore, an early congress will give the Party enough timeframe to project and market the next Presidential candidate, as well as the Parliamentary candidates contesting on the ticket of the Party in the various constituencies.
3. NPP must remain united to be able to break the eight (8).
However, there is rift and rancor among the rank and file of the Party, especially among supporters of opposing candidates for both the Presidential and Parliamentary.
We believe that an early congress shall give the New Patriotic Party enough time and opportunity to set up reconciliatory committees at the national and constituency levels to address the internal conflicts and build bridges between losing and winning candidates in the Presidential and Parliamentary primaries respectively.
4. Further, we strongly believe that having both the Presidential and Parliamentary primaries concurrently will reduce animosities and prevent any form of victimization from the camp of the NPP Canada next Presidential candidate to any of the Parliamentary aspirants that may be perceived to have not supported their bids to lead the national party for the 2024 elections.
5. Considering the fact that the NDC is scheduled to elect their Presidential candidate in May, 2023, we strongly believe that electing our Presidential candidate in August will present a level field for our candidate to build the momentum and engage the next opposition leader in matters of national interest.
6. Finally, the NPP shall go into the 2024 elections trumpeting the achievements of the current NPP government under the leadership of President Akufo-Addo.
We therefore anticipate that an early congress will be beneficial to the current government in the implementation of its policies and programs without distraction stemming from internal contest.
Based on the valid and genuine reasons enumerated above, we wish that the General Secretary of the New Patriotic Party, Lawyer Justin Frimpong Koduah aka JFK who has been petitioned earlier by the Branch on this matter, could consider our position and make a strong case on our behalf at the upcoming Steering Committee, National Executive Committee (NEC) and National Council meetings of the Party scheduled for Thursday, February 2, 2023
Source: Classfmonline.com/cecil Mensah
NDC race: Duffour files nominations14:03
Bawumia assures new Yagbonwura of gov’t’s support to settle all chieftaincy, territorial disputes peacefully07:21
NPA CEO calls on National Chief Imam10:31
Police announce temporary traffic arrangement for Kamala Harris’ visit18:08
V/R: Step aside for a new face to maximise NDC’s votes – Concerned youth to Ho West MP13:30
NIA commences expedited printing of Ghana cards06:54
Kumawu MP Philip Atta Basoah dead10:33
E/R: Six perish in accident near Kpong18:07
3rd session of PJCC between Ghana and DRC opens in Accra10:34
I’m disappointed but glad majority of NDC MPs voted against Akufo-Addo nominees – Ato Forson15:27