Saturday, 30 September

S/R: Police arrests 3 suspects in Mempeasem, Lukula attacks

Personnel of the Ghana Police Service

The police has arrested three suspects and pursuing others in connection with violent attacks on Mempeasem and Lukula communities in the Savanna Region by some rival opposing factions in connection with land and chieftaincy disputes.

On 30 May 2023, a gang numbering about 50 invaded the Mempeasem community and kidnapped a 50-year-old man. 

The gang, however, fled into the bush when the police responded to the attack. 

The police managed to rescue the kidnapped victim and retrieved one AK-47 weapon together with 14 rounds of ammunition, seven motorbikes and two bicycles from the scene of the incident. A search for the suspects in the area led to a further retrieval of a bag containing 240 AK-47 ammunition. 

On 1 June 2023, the police, while on patrols within the communities, responded to another distress call of an attack by another gang on the Lukula community. 

The said suspects, who went on the rampage and burnt houses amidst random shooting, opened fire on the police upon seeing them. 

The police immediately responded and succeeded in arresting three of the suspects; Razak Sulemana, Musah Shanun and Karim Abdul Rafiuw. 

The three suspects, who sustained gunshot wounds during their arrest, are currently receiving treatment at a medical facility.

A search conducted on them led to the retrieval of one pump-action gun, two single-barrellled guns, one long knife, 80 live cartridges, some talismans and cowries. 

After restoring calm in the area, the police had information that an 81-year-old man from the Lukula community was allegedly shot by the rampaging gang on his farm. 

The police proceeded to the farm, and with the help of his children, took the victim to the hospital where he was pronounced dead by the authorities. 

The body has since been deposited at the hospital for preservation and autopsy. 

Following the police's encounter with the suspects and their subsequent arrests, some individuals believed to be sympathisers of those arrested, attacked the Daboya police station, damaged accident cars parked at the station and some louvre blades within the barracks. 

The police, however, resisted the attack and took control of the situation.

Calm has since been restored and security has been strengthened in Daboya and its surrounding communities to forestall further attacks. 

Efforts are currently ongoing to get the perpetrators, including those who attacked the police station, arrested to face justice.