US deports more alleged gang members to El Salvador

The Trump administration has deported 17 more alleged gang members to El Salvador, the US state department has said, despite legal battles over removing people to the Central American country's supermax prison.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the group included members of the Tren de Aragua and MS-13 gangs.
Salvadoran government officials told the BBC they included a mix of Venezuelans and Salvadorans.
Earlier this month a court ordered a halt to deportations carried out under the Alien Enemies Act, a 1798 law previously used only in wartime. However, US media, citing administration sources, reported that the recent deportations were made under general immigration laws.
In a statement, Rubio said the group included "murderers and rapists", but did not provide names or details of the alleged crimes or of any convictions.
In a post on X, El Salvador President Nayib Bukele shared a dramatically edited video showing shackled men being loaded off a plane and their heads being shaved before they were put into prison cells.
"All individuals are confirmed murderers and high-profile offenders, including six child rapists," he wrote. "This operation is another step in the fight against terrorism and organized crime."
President Trump reposted the message, blamed the administration of his predecessor Joe Biden for allowing the deportees into the US and thanked Bukele for "giving them such a wonderful place to live".
El Salvador has agreed to take in deportees in exchange for $6m (£4.6m).
Family members of some of those who were previously sent to the maximum security prison have denied they have any gang ties.
After Trump invoked the Alien Enemies Act to remove more than 100 Venezuelans from the US earlier this month, groups including the American Civil Liberties Union filed a legal challenge alleging the administration had illegally denied the immigrants due process.
In a hearing on 15 March, James Boasberg, the top federal judge in Washington DC, imposed a temporary restraining order on the use of the law and ordered deportation flights that were in the air to be turned around.
But the deportations proceeded. The next hearing in the case will be held on Thursday.
With reporting by Will Grant
Source: bbc.com
Trending News
President Mahama to launch 'Feed Ghana Programme' in Techiman
14:24W/R: Police arrest 11 for illegal mining and river pollution in Tarkwa-Nsuaem
12:02High Court reduces bail condition for former NSB Director-General and wife
15:21Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor wins case against former Chief of Staff over illegal sale of Kumasi Technical University vehicles
14:08Tain MP raises concerns over ECG’s financial mismanagement and missing containers
11:44Bono NDC Women demand MCE appointment for Hajia Fatimatu Abubakari
16:12Bono Regional Minister donate food items to Sunyani Central Prisons on behalf of Ibrahim Mahama
13:50Roads Minister orders commencement of works on Ashaiman-Afienya and Tema Motorway-Dawhenya stretches
11:08Energy Minister finds some missing ECG containers at Shai Hills
13:01GA/R: President Mahama orders demolition of buildings on waterways at Mallam Junction
12:25